7 Self-Care Pillars and ideas on how to look after physical and emotional well-being have been on my list for a long time. In the Fall I have been asked to write this article for the Pink Heaven Lingerie website. I really enjoyed this topic and I decided to share it with my readers. In case you already visited their blog, please keep on reading, as I added a few new self-care ideas, that you don’t want to miss.
As Fall arrived It is getting cold outside and we start to think about cosy evenings at home and self-care. Even though September is the self-care month I think that Fall and Winter, just before Christmas are just the perfect time to start thinking about well-being, happiness and find time for self-reflection. We all are busy in our lives, balancing careers with children, partners or pets. Trying to do it all together is exhausting that is why self-care is so important and necessary. As the end of the year is approaching with proper self-care we can finish the year calmer. We can also start the New Year stronger and full of intentions. We can let go and release those things that are no longer serving us. Also pure, absolute enjoyment is an important part, that goes with this yummy subject too.
Before I will share with you some easy Fall and Winter Self-Care tips I would like to explain to you 7 self-care pillars. They are created by International Self-Care Foundation (ISF). So please prepare yourself a cup of tea or hot chocolate, breathe deeply and let’s dive into our subject.
Table of Contents
7 pillars of self-care
1 Mental /intellectual self-care
It’s all about cultivating a healthy mindset. Growing your skills, reducing stress, enhancing your knowledge and creativity. There are some ideas that you can easily implement, for example:
- Meditation: even if it is only 5 min per day. Each day you can increase the time.
- Writing in a journal: I find it as one of the most powerful tools. I also encourage you to set timers and make a habit of writing, 5, 10, 15 minutes or more.
2. Emotional Self-Care –
This includes all activities with understanding yourself, your emotions and feelings. Examples:
- Watching a touching movie. Perhaps something that makes us cry or laugh, release some hidden emotions.
- Listening to the favourite song. That brings some memories or is triggering some feelings, like confidence for example.
3. Physical Self-Care –
This one seems simple, but in our busy lives, we sometimes prioritize everything else than this. There is a lot of truth in the old proverbs.
“A healthy mind breeds a healthy body and vice versa”.
This pillar is about exercise, nutrition and sleep. Examples of self-care can be:
- Drinking more water.
- Sleeping 7, 8 h per day.
- Changing a diet: perhaps seeing a dietitian or just reducing unhealthy habits.
4. Environmental Self-Care
This area is about our environment, especially our home or office.
Simple examples are:
- Decluttering home.
- Lighting candles, adding some nice scents to your home.
5. Spiritual Self-Care–
This Self-care pillar involves our soul, purpose in life and meaning.
You can nourish this part by:
- Volunteering in a project or cause that you believe in and has an importance to you.
- Spending time in the nature.
6. Recreational Self-Care –
This area is responsible for your free time and pleasure. It includes fun activities and new adventures. Examples:
- Going on a spontaneous trip, or a trip your dream about for a long time.
- Starting a hobby, using your creativity.
7. Social Self-Care –
It’s important to nourish and cultivate our relationships. Especially with people who we love, who are in our circle or community.
- Spending quality time with your loved ones.
- Joining group activities, for example, a book club or a networking event.
5 Bonus Self Care Ideas
Now by understanding all 7 Self-care pillars you can see that self-care contributes to all aspects of life. Moreover, they can be performed in a multitude of ways. Depending on what you, your body, mind or soul needs right now.
Below I prepared bonus tips. Special ideas to implement during the Fall and Winter season:
- Take a long bubble bath: lit the candles, add your favourite scents and products ( face mask, bath oils, body lotions).
- Cook a new meal: best with a use of seasonal ingredients, like pumpkin for example.
- Go for relaxing coffee with a friend: enjoy the Pumpkin Spice Latte or Afternoon Tea and forget about your social media updates. Live the moment and enjoy.
- Visit the hairdresser: Nothing boost the mood like a new hairstyle. You can also just opt for refreshing the colour.
- Buy yourself a beautiful lingerie set. There is something about this feeling when you know that underneath your garments. It’s a fantastic underwear and it boosts your esteem, makes you feel more feminine and happy.
Fall and Winter are just the ideal time to focus on ourselves. We often get to neglect our self-care needs. We sometimes feel it’s selfish, but please remember it’s not! Self-care is necessary. Please let me know which self-care tip you will try these 7 Self-Care Pillars ideas or perhaps you will make it a challenge and implement one ritual each day?
Pictures by Aline Carron,
Venue EastWest Hotel Genève
As always with love
Bella Zofia xx
Your Fashion, Beauty and Travel Blogger from Geneva